Our Environment - Introduction
Scarlett fireplaces was established in 1991, recognising there were no other local fireplace and chimney companies that offered the expected high standard and understanding of safe traditional solid fuel heating and design.
It all started in 1989 when Jason Scarlett built his first brick fireplace after serving an apprenticeship with a local high quality builder. Experience gained scaffolding within the oil industry helped establish a reputation for not only creating fireplaces but also chimney building, sweeping and maintenance. in 1998, the last HETAS registered solid fuel engineer in Essex, John Deacon, passed us his established business that served an ageing generation of coal and wood users where they still used wood burning - multi fuel - coal stoves, boilers and cookers popular in the 50’s, 60’s & 70's. The information gathered, when the local solid fuel industry consisted of ourselves and a handful of chimney sweeps, is now proving invaluable.
In recent years Scarlett's have been realising the full potential of efficient wood burning where the wood log fuel is sourced directly from the local environment. Our sustainable and sympathetic woodland management projects have shown the positives of managing established ancient coppice woodlands while planting new trees alongside urban and rural society. Funded through our wood burning stove installations we have put a price on the local wood fuel sourced throughout Essex and London. From street trees to a lonely field oak, we make looking after these trees a necessity through your energy bills usually paid to the fossil fuel industry. Scarlett's woodland management, log supplies, log storage, bespoke eco furniture are all important projects designed to explore every finer detail and help realise the full potential of sustainable local biomass heating solutions.
In 2008 the BBC reported on our sustainable wood log supplies from Belfairs woods in Southend on Sea. In 2009 we went on to win Essex Countywide business of the year and Southend Borough Environmental business of the year. In 2013 we won the prestigious national & international Green Apple Award for sustainable energy. We picked up our award from the Houses of Parliament.
Working in such a rapidly growing specialised industry we can only achieve the high quality of service we require, by personally training all employees in their specific fields of expertise through traditional apprenticeships. In all aspects of our business we demand politeness, cleanliness, safety, efficiency and attention to detail.
The environment is at the very core of our business philosophy. We are therefore committed to reducing our environmental impact by continually improving our environmental performance as an integral and fundamental part of our business strategy and operating methods. It is our priority to encourage our customers, suppliers and business associates to do the same.
We recognised many years ago that the products we sell and install can make a real and positive impact on the local environment. We also recognised that if we sell the wrong products without the attention to detail set out in this website then we could cause a great negative impact on the environment.
We show transparency in our environmental claims and are mindful that our industry is an abundant minefield of ‘green wash’ sales techniques, with thousands of new businesses plying their new trade on a public that understands as little about the subject as those new businesses.
Our policy is to:
- Wholly support, comply with and exceed the requirements of current environmental legislation and codes of practice.
- Minimise our waste and reuse or recycle as much of it as possible.
- Minimise energy used for our buildings, vehicles, machinery and processes in order to minimize our consumption of natural resources.
- Only purchase products and services from businesses that uphold similar environmental awareness and encourage others to do the same.
- Assess the environmental impact of any new processes or products we intend to introduce in advance.
- Ensure that all employees understand our environmental policy and conform to the high standards it requires.
- Update our Environmental Policy annually in consultation with staff, associates and customers.
- Help reduce our customers carbon emissions through only supplying renewable energy products that we know work specifically in local homes.
- Refuse to undertake any works or supply any goods outside our serviceable area.
- Only sell logs we extract from local woodlands to individuals who wish to harness the energy in a safe and efficient manner with minimum smoke pollution.